Comfort food lover? Who isn’t! Meatballs & gravy with a side of mash & veg have been devoured in my kitchen for as long as I can remember.
Serves: 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
You will need:
- Supa Mama® kitchen foil
- 500 g beef mince
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil, as needed for frying
- Mashed potato and veggies, for serving
For the gravy:
A little bit of this gravy goes a long way, as it is rich and flavourful, so make sure you don’t over do it!
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon Bovril
- 1-½ cup boiling water
- Combine the mince, parsley, onion, egg, breadcrumbs and seasoning in a bowl and mix until all combined. Roll into small balls, about 5 cm in size.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the meatballs in batches over a medium heat. Cover with Supa Mama® kitchen foil to keep warm.
- To make the gravy, cook the onions in the same pan as you cooked the meatballs in until golden brown. There should be leftover oil from the frying.
- Add the butter to the pan, allow it to melt and whisk in the flour slowly. Heat this roux (onion, butter and flour mix) over medium-to-low heat for about 5 minutes, until it starts to darken. Make sure your hob doesn’t get too hot and burn the roux.
- In a cup, mix together the Bovril and boiling water. Ensure it is all dissolved and then slowly add this mixture to the roux in the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil (you shouldn’t have to turn up the heat) and allow to boil for 1 minute. It should thicken up nicely.
- To serve, place your mash & veg onto your plate or bowl, top with meatballs and spoon over the gravy (remember it is rich so don’t go too crazy!).
Bovril is a great substitute for stock, it has a wonderful salty umami (savoury) flavour.
Make a double batch of meatballs and freeze them in a Supa Mama® freezer bag. You can then cook them from frozen – pan fry, then finish off in the oven on a sheet of Supa Mama® kitchen foil.