Steamed vegetables have got a bad wrap (pun intended😉), maybe because you have only experienced the mushy bland type? Nothing like a mouthful of soggy cauliflower to have you turn your cheek to them for good!
BUT… when prepared properly, they are not just the healthier way to enjoy your veg but they are also SUPA yummy, crisp, convenient & can be very versatile!
This veggie steaming hack and these flavouring tips should get you to give it another go and get that veggie count up in no time. Enjoy!
You will need:
- Supa Mama® cling wrap
- Microwave safe bowl
- Something to make it interesting (see below)
- Peel and chop your veggies so they are all the same size for even cooking.
- Place your veg into a microwave-safe bowl in one layer. If you don’t have a big enough dish rather cook a few batches than overload the dish!
- Add enough water to just cover the bottom of the vegetables.
- Cover the bowl with Supa Mama® cling wrap and pull back one corner (to let out that steam) and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- If your veg is not cooked to your desired tenderness after 2 minutes, you can add a splash of additional water (if it’s all evaporated) and microwave again at 1-minute intervals until you are happy with the tenderness.
- Microwave-ready steam veggie packs from the grocery store are a perfect solution for the busy plant-based eater.
The above should give you veggies just how you like them…but no veggies should ever go without flavour! So here are…
5 ways to make your steamed veggies a little more interesting!
- Liquid flavour – Add some tamari sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice to your vegetables before steaming.
- Nutritional yeast – nutritional yeast adds a delicious light nutty and cheese-like flavor, it is also packed with vitamin B12.
- Garlic – sauté some minced garlic & toss it through the veg, or if you are extra short on time, give a generous sprinkle of garlic powder.
- Herbs – experiment with fresh or dried herbs and some butter. Give dill, chives, coriander, parsley, or basil a go!
- Spices – don’t be afraid to explore your spice cabinet or to lay on the heat with a dash of chilli powder or flakes.
- It is NB that your veggies are uniformly chopped so that they cook at the same rate.
- Let the steam escape while cooking.
- Keep an eye on the clock.
- And last but not least, seasoning!